There were fewer boats in this year’s Fiesta Day Cardboard Boat Challenge, but those who did participate provided an entertaining spectacle for crowds lining the beach. The event was organized by ShowCal Skiers’ Ted and Cherie Schiafone, and announced by John Whitlow. Boats had to be made from cardboard and duct tape only.
Youth Boats (12 and Under)
• 1st Place Finish – This award went to Brayden Byrnes and Dustin Robinson with their “SS Bozo.” Brayden and Dustin won $100 and the “Sea-Vador Award.” They also won the “Theme Spirit Award” for decorating the SS Bozo according to the circus theme.
• Best Boat Design – This award went to Ryder Fulleton and Presley Boudreau with their “Preryd” boat. They won $50 and the “Sea-Swag Award.”
• Most Dramatic Sinking – The “Titanic Award” went to Blake, Hayden and Gavin Dalton and their boat, “The Tank.”
Adult Boats (13 and Over)
• 1st Place Finish – This award went to Dylan Murray and Maison Lynn for their “Motor Boaters” boat. They won $100 and the “Sea-U-L8-Oar Award.”
• Best Boat Design – Dylan and Maison also won in this category, receiving $50 and the “Pride of the Fleet Award.”
• Most Dramatic Sinking – Virgil and William Benton won the “We-R-N-2-Deep Award” with their “Silver Bullet” boat.
• Circus Theme – Andre and Frida Luna and Cameron Clayton won the “Theme Spirit Award” for their boat, “Hope We Float.”