- Family Movie Night is tonight, June 26, at Holiday Harbor. The movie is free and starts about 8 p.m. or when it’s dark enough to see it on the giant screen. (Licensing laws prohibit the Association from publicizing movie titles; however tonight’s feature is a popular, newer movie about a group of high-tech heroes. It’s rated PG.)
Families are invited to bring blankets and chairs to spread out on the slope at Holiday Harbor. The Family Matters Club will be selling snacks. Upcoming Movie Nights are July 10, July 24, August 7 and August 21.
- Cosmic Carnival will be next Saturday, June 27, 5 to 9 p.m. at Holiday Harbor. Hosted by the Family Matters Club, this neon glow party will include a glow maze, photo booth, shirt-making, face-painting and more. Food will be sold at the snack bar.
- Taco Tuesday is ongoing at the Lodge and Sunset Beach every Tuesday, 5 to 8:30 p.m., until September 1. Each week features entertainment, vendor booths, kid zone, snack shack and food and drink specials from the Lighthouse Restaurant and Bar.
- Ski Shows – Residents looking for a nice way to spend Sunday evenings are invited to watch the ShowCal Skiers Water Ski Show Team perform at the Jump Lagoon every Sunday through July 5. The skiers practice in the Lagoon from 3 to 5 and put on their actual show from 5 to 6.
- Two more “Flick and Float” events are scheduled at the Lodge pool on July 18 and August 14. The free movie begins at dusk. Please note: there are no parent drop-offs (unless child is over the age of 14 and has a POA card).
- Kid’s Fishing Derby will be on Saturday, August 15, at Holiday Harbor. Registration will take place between 6 and 8 a.m. Hosted by the Canyon Lake Bassmasters, this event is free for Canyon Lake residents and their guests, ages 5 to 15. Registration forms will be printed in The Friday Flyer closer to the event.
- Mermaid Festival will be on Saturday, August 22, at Indian Beach. Hosted by the Canyon Lake Woman’s Club, this inaugural event calls all mermaids, mermen, pirates and people who love the sea to come down to Indian Beach where there will be mermaid and pirate-themed activities as well as food and merchandise vendors. Watch The Friday Flyer for details or visit www.canyonlakewomansclub.com.
- Pedal Paddle Regatta will be on Saturday, August 29, at 10 a.m. at Indian Beach. Hosted by the Fitness and Triathlon Club, everyone with a paddle board, kayak, canoe or pedal boat is invited to join this free, non-motorized cruise of the East Bay. Following the cruise will be a burger barbecue for $5 per person.
Here are Classes and Camps
- Junior Golf Clinic will be held July 13 to 17.
The cost is $35 per junior golfer. The Junior Golf Clinic is hosted by the Golf Pro Shop staff and Family Golf Club and includes golf instruction for various age levels, a skills test, prizes and concludes with a family barbecue. For more information, call the Golf Pro Shop at 951-244-6841, ext. 820.
- Creative Moment Yoga Class is held Wednesday, 10 a.m. in the Pool View Room at the Lodge. Free. Parents are invited to bring their children (ages 2 through 8) to this parent/child yoga class taught by Canyon Lake resident, Kelley Peviani-Bruno. Bring a yoga mat and dress comfortably. Parents/caregivers are required to remain with their children at all times and are even encouraged to participate alongside their child(ren).
- Swimming Lessons are ongoing at the pool. The cost is $70 per week (discounts available). Classes are 30 minutes long, Monday through Friday. Mommy & Me classes are available. There is limited space and classes fill up quickly. Register at the pool or call 951-244-6841, ext. 617. Open Swim at the pool is Sunday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Water Polo classes are ongoing at the pool. The cost is $45 per week (discounts available).
This six-week program is open to all ages as long as they are able to swim the length of the pool (25 yards). Visit the Association’s website for details.
- Horse Riding Lessons – Children who would like to take horse riding lessons can sign up with Gretchen Painter by calling 951-334-4145. Lesson rates begin at $35. Lessons are taught at the Equestrian Center; horses will be provided.
- Children’s Theatre – Canyon Lake Community theatre invites all children K through 8th grade to participate in the summer production of “Flower Power.” Show dates are July 31, August 1 and August 2. Canyon Lake Community Theatre has a Facebook page.
- Learn To Ski Days are July 8 and August 12 in the North Ski Area. The cost is $10. Hosted by the Ski Club, available times are 1, 2 or 3 p.m. Space is limited and pre-registration is necessary. For advance registration, call Terry Pierce at 951-609-4790. For more information, visit www.canyonlakeskiclub.com.
- Learn To Ride Days are July 25 and September 12. Registration opens at 8 a.m. at the Ski Pavilion in the North Ski Area. The cost is $15. Learn to wakeboard or improve skills in wakeboarding and wakeskating. The Wakeboard Club provides boats, equipment and training. For more information visit www.canyonlakewake.com.
- Summer Reading Program is ongoing at the Library through August 1. This year’s theme is “Read to the Rhythm.” Reading incentives and prizes are made available by Canyon Lake Friends of the Library. The Library is located inside the City Hall building. Hours are Monday, 10 to 7; Wednesday and Friday, 10 to 6; and Saturday, 10 to 3. For more information, call 951-244-9181.