Check out these activities for kids and families.
* Canyon Lake Community Theatre’s is still accepting children for the large cast of the all-kids production of “Wonderland.”
Shows are July 22, 23 and 24. See article in this issue for details.
- Weekly swim lessons are offered at the pool for children of all ages and levels. Mommy and Me Water Class and Water Polo also are offered. See adjacent article for details.
- Horse riding lessons at the Equestrian Center with instructor Gretchen Painter begin at $35; no horse is necessary. Call Gretchen at 951-334-4145 or Alex Radomirovic at 951-500-9042.
- The Wakeboard Club will host Learn to Ride Days on June 26 and July 24 at the North Ski Area. Registration begins at 8 a.m. at the Ski Pavilion. All ages are invited to learn how to wakeboard, or to improve their skills. For more information, visit www.canyonlakewake.com.
- The Kids Summer Tennis Program is taking place in the month of June, taught by Tennis Pros Baba Soysa and Anthony Chatfield. One-hour group sessions runs twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. For space availability, contact Marga Kidd at email@example.com or 951-442-4538.
- Canyon Lake Junior Golf Camp will be held July 11 to 15, hosted by the Golf Pro Shop staff and Family Golf Club. the fee per junior golfer is $35. Sign up at the Pro Shop.
- Family Movie Nights in the Park have begun. The next ones are scheduled for June 24, July 8, August 5, August 19 and September 9. These are free, with food and snacks sold by the Family Matters Club each of those nights. Most movies are rated PG.
- Flick-n-Float Movie Nights at the pool are scheduled for July 16, August 13 and September 17. Movies start at dusk. These are free events for residents and their guests. Movies this year will be for older children and adults, most rated PG-13.
- Sand castle-building Contest and a Pirate Treasure Dig will be hosted by the Family Matters Club at Sunset Beach during Taco Tuesday on June 28. Everyone is invited to bring their own dinner or pick up some tacos at the Lodge and join them on the sand.
- The Pedal Paddle Regatta, hosted by the Fitness and Triathlon Club, will cruise the East Bay on August 6, starting at 10 a.m. at Indian Beach. Everyone with a paddle board, kayak, canoe or pedal boat is welcome. After the paddle, guests are welcome to stay for a burger barbecue for $5 per person.
- The 30th annual Kids Fishing Derby, hosted by the Canyon Lake Bassmasters for Canyon Lake residents and their guests, ages 5 to 15, will be held August 13. Fishing guidelines can be found with the registration forms, which will be available at the Member Services office closer to the event.
- The 2nd annual Mermaid Festival will be held at Indian Beach on August 27 The Woman’s Club invites all mermaids, mermen, pirates and people who love the sea. The day will include vendors, mermaid and pirate-themed activities and a cardboard boat race.
- An after-dark Neon Glow Party is scheduled for September 24, at 6 p.m., sponsored by the Family Matters Club. Activities include a glow maze, photo booth, shirt-making, face-painting and food sales to light up the night.
Summer Pool Hours
Lap Swim, Water Aerobics – Monday through Sunday: 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Open Swim – Monday through Sunday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Members must present their own valid POA card and be in good standing to use the pool.
To reach Pool Manager Valerie Grillo , call 951-244-6841, ext. 618.
Swim lessons are now underway at the Lodge and offered to children of all ages and levels. Swim lessons are 30 minutes long Monday through Friday at either 10:15 a.m. or 11 a.m. One weekly session is $70, the second week is $40 and the third week is free – OR first child is $70 per week and second child is $40 per week. Families (two children or more) get one free week. Lessons are offered the following weeks:
June 20 – June 24
June 27 – July 1
July 11 – July 15
July 18 – July 22
July 25 – July 29
August 1 – August 5
Swim Lesson Levels
Tot Swim: Face in the water, introduction to floating
Level 1: Kicking and safety rules
Level 2: Hold breath for three seconds, introduction to retrieving objects and turning front to back
Level 3: Introduction to diving and retrieving objects with no support
Level 4: Elementary back stroke, standing dive, and treading water
Level 5: Breast stroke, butterfly kick, and alternate breathing
Level 6: Front crawl (100 yards), and butterfly (10 yards)
Level 7: Front crawl (200 yards), back crawl (100 yards), and rescue skills
Adult swim lessons are available upon request (beginners to perfecting technique).
Mommy and Me Water Class
Participate in your child’s developing swimming abilities. This class is $35 and offered either Monday through Friday at 11:45 a.m. the week of June 27 through July 1, or the week of August 1 to 5.
Water Polo is open to children of all ages as they are able to swim the length of the pool (25 yards). This six-week program is $45 for the first week and $40 for following weeks (buy two weeks and the third week is free, one free week per household).
Week One Basics was held this week, June 13 to 17
Week Two Passing is scheduled for June 20 to 24. Focus on basics of water polo taught in week one, as well as working on all types of passing.
Week Three Shooting is June 27 to July 1. Focus on basics of water polo taught in week one, as well as working on all types of shooting and proper form; i.e. cross-cage, strong side, wet shots and shots from set.
Week 4 Offense is July 11 to July 15. Focus on basics of water polo taught in week one, as well as working on different types of plays and positions that help make a good offensive player.
Week 5 Defense is July 18 to 22. Learn plays and positions that make a good defensive player.
Weeks 6 & 7 – July 25 to 29 and August 1 to 5 – Focus on basics of water polo taught in week one, as well as working on different types of plays and positions for both offense and defense when up/down on a 6 on 5. Class also will work on 5-meter penalty shots, including technique and how to draw a 5-meter in play.
For more information, call the Pool Phone at 951-244-6841, ext. 617.