Thoughts may be turning to school, but a summer activity that Canyon Lake children have looked forward to for the past 29 years is the Kids Fishing Derby. This year’s event, hosted by the Bassmasters Club, will be held Saturday, August 15, from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Holiday Harbor. This event is free for ages 5 to 15.
Bassmasters President Travis Smith would like to remind parents that children must register and sign a consent form in order to participate in the Fishing Derby. Registration will be held the day of the event, from 6 to 8 a.m. There is no mail-in registration.
Children can fish from the time they register until 11 a.m. Registered participants automatically will be eligible for the prize drawing that takes place after the hot dog lunch. Truth be told, the prize drawing is what many of the kids look forward to most!
This event traditionally brings out 300 to 400 kids. Many trophies and prizes are awarded in three different age groups (5-7, 8-11 and 12-15) plus one for Big Fish in each species and Big Fish for a boy and a girl.
Here’s the schedule and more details:
Registration: 6 to 8 a.m.
Fishing Time: 6 to 11 a.m.
Fish weigh-in: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Food Served: 12 p.m.
Awards and Prize Drawing: 1 p.m.
- Child must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Worms will be handed out at registration while supplies last.
- Fishing may be done anywhere on the lake.
- Weigh-in will start at 11 a.m., and participants must be in line to weigh no later than 12 p.m.
- The Bassmasters will starting serving the free food during weigh-in and will continue until it’s gone (hot dogs, chips, water, soda and snow cones).
Sponsors are needed. The Canyon Lake Bassmasters is a non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible (Tax ID No: 33-0960490). To donate a prize or money, or for more information, contact Travis at 951-525-7550.