No more tacos and hot dogs and cotton candy and snow-cones and sitting on the beach with neighbors and friends – at least on Tuesdays. Canyon Lakers were out in force for the final Taco Tuesday of summer this week at the Lodge.
Although many were heard to express dismay that Taco Tuesday was ending so soon, the Activities Department says it decided this year that, with school starting next Wednesday, August 10, and families being preoccupied with all that entails, it would be wise to end Taco Tuesday a few weeks earlier than has been done in the past.
The Friday Flyer visited Taco Tuesday this week to ask kids what they think about going back to school, and to ask adults what their plans were for enjoying community life the rest of the summer. Their answers begin on Page A-8.
A lineup of activities remains on the schedule, so there will be plenty of time to enjoy lake life over the coming month.
- Tonight, Family Movie Night returns to Holiday Harbor with everyone’s favorite animated characters from Radiator Springs. The movie is free; everyone is invited to bring their own chair or blanket to sit on the slope, along with their own food and beverages. Snacks also are available for purchase at the snack bar. Other Movie Nights are scheduled for August 19 and September 9. They are free and most movies are rated PG.
- Tomorrow, August 6, the 5th annual Paddle & Pedal Regatta, hosted by the Fitness and Triathlon Club, will cruise the East Bay, starting at 10 a.m. at Indian Beach. Everyone with a paddle board, kayak, canoe or pedal boat is welcome. After the paddle, guests are welcome to stay for a burger barbecue for $5 per person.
- Next Saturday, August 13, is the 30th annual Kids Fishing Derby for Canyon Lake residents and their guests, ages 5 to 15. Details about this popular event can be found on Page B-4.
- Also on August 13 is the next Flick-n-Float at the Lodge pool. That event also is free for members and their guests; POA ID is required. It begins at dusk.
- The only activity scheduled on the following weekend, August 19, is Family Movie Night at Holiday Harbor.
- On Saturday, August 27, the Mermaid Festival and Cardboard Boat Challenge will offer activities for adults and children, mermaids and pirates.