City Connection


Animal Control

The city contracts with the Animal Friends of the Valley for Animal Control services. Animal Control Officers are empowered by state law to enforce regulations concerning the safety of Canyon Lake residents and their pets. Animal Friends of the Valleys may be reached at 951-674-0618. For after hours emergencies, call 951-506-5069. License applications are available at City Hall.

Business Licenses

All businesses operating in the City of Canyon Lake are required to have a business license, this includes businesses which operate from home. A contractor or subcontractor doing business in Canyon Lake on any job must also have a license.

City Hall Hours

City Hall office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Building and Safety hours are Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

City Staff

City Manager Aaron Palmer, 951-244-2955; administrative Service Manager Mike Borja, 951-246-2024; Code Enforcement Officer Jean Voshall, 951-244-2955, ext. 208; Sr. Special Enforcement Officer Ivan Henry, 951-244-2955, ext. 213; Building Official Jim Barrett, 951-244-2955; and Senior Office Specialist Ruby Manzano, 951-244-2955, ext. 202. For a complete list of city staff, visit the city’s website at

Event Permit

Any special event that will have 50 or more people requires a Special Event Permit. Permits should be submitted at least 28 days in advance. The city will either approve or deny the application within 14 calendar days. Applications are available at City Hall and online at

Public Safety Meeting

Residents are invited to attend the meetings of the city’s Public Safety Committee. The public will hear reports on police, fire, code enforcement, special enforcement, emergency preparedness and animal services. Meetings are held in the Council Chamber at City Hall on the last Wednesday of every month. Meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. in March, June, September and December and at 9 a.m. all other months.

Connect with City

Information about the city can be found on the city website at and on Facebook at

Power Outages

Notification regarding scheduled maintenance outages in the community can be viewed on the city’s website under “News and Announcements.” Southern California Edison (SCE) encourages residents to call its 24-hour emergency hotline at 800-611-1911 to report an unscheduled outage. It is the primary way for SCE to know there is a problem so crews can be deployed. Residents who experience outages can check the “Outage Center” at to learn what time they can expect power to be restored.

Bulky Item Collection

Items that can’t be handled by one CR&R driver or fit in the automated containers are considered “bulky items.” Each residential customer is entitled to two bulky item pick ups free of charge per calendar year. To make arrangements for a bulky item pick up contact CR&R at 800-826-9677.

Emergency Preparedness

The Canyon Lake Emergency Preparedness Committee (CLEPC) meets monthly on the first Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber at City Hall. The CLEPC is a committee made up of community volunteers who are committed to preparing and educating the community for emergencies, medical and shelter services, providing assessment and assisting in recovery after disaster. For more information or to serve as a volunteer, call City Hall at 951-244-2955.

Home Repair Program

The city, with the help of Habitat for Humanity Inland Valley, implemented the Home Repair Program to help low income homeowners by providing funding to do some unexpected exterior maintenance and repairs. Roof repairs, window repairs and heating and cooling repairs and installation are a few of the eligible items the program can help with. Funding is limited and applications are taken on a first come bases. Qualification is required. For more information or to apply, call 951-296-3362, ext. 207, or email


The city (and POA) would like to remind residents that free sand and sandbags are available at the entrance of the fire station on Vacation Dr. Residents are advised to bring their own shovel as there is no guarantee there will be one there. If there are no more sandbags, residents should call Community Patrol at 951-244-6841, ext. 410, for assistance.


The city has an emergency notification system called CodeRED, which will alert each resident by phone or e-mail in the event of an emergency.

The ultra high-speed telephone communication service allows the city to telephone all or targeted areas in case of an emergency, such as drinking water contamination, utility outage, evacuation notice, missing person, road closures, fires, floods, law enforcement activities that may impact the city, chemical spills and gas leaks where rapid and accurate notification is essential for public safety. The system is capable of calling home and cell phones and sending out emails.

City officials urge residents to take a few minutes and sign up for the service online on the city’s website at Once on the city’s website, click on Services then Disaster Preparedness.  Those who previously have signed up and haven’t made changes to their contact information don’t need to sign up again.

Only Rain in the Drain

Disposing of pollutants into the street, gutters, storm drains or Lake is prohibited by law and can result in stiff penalties. Storm drains are not connected to sanitary sewer systems and treatment plants. The primary purpose of storm drains is to carry rainwater away from developed areas to prevent flooding.

Pollutants discharged to the storm drains are transported directly into the Lake. Capture and dispose of wastewater and chemicals properly. Remember, storm drains are for receiving rainwater runoff only. For more information or to report illegal discharges, call Canyon Lake Code Enforcement at 951-746-7978.

Veterans Memorial Bricks

The City of Canyon Lake is perpetually selling bricks to honor veterans and active duty military at the Veterans Memorial in the Towne Center. May 1 is the application deadline for those wishing to have a brick installed before Memorial Day. Applications are available at City Hall.