In spite of the heat wave that descended upon Southern California last weekend, organizers, participants and spectators helped make the 10th anniversary Canyon Lake Car Show another successful event. According to Car Club President Joe Landin, it was a “Fiesta Day crowd even with the heat.” The Lodge lounge was busy all day, with overflow crowds served from portable bars outside.
There were approximately 265 cars and trucks in the show,. with several photographers sending photos of their favorites to The Friday Flyer. More pictures can be seen on Page B-2 and at fridayflyer.com.
The following is a list of the cars, owners and class that took home trophies.
- The Sam Foose Award went to Ray and Kris Hamblen for their 1933 Ford Roadster.
- The Best of Show Award went to James Hetfield for The Black Pearl.
- Best Engine went to Rich Ralston for his 1931 Ford Roadster.
- Best Interior went to Ralph Moody for his 1959 Chevy Impala.
- Best Paint went to Ed Huzyak for his 1970 Dodge Challenger.
- Mike and Jerry Meeks won a National Street Rod Association Safety Award for their 1936 Ford Coupe
Year Awards were as follows:
1910-1920: 1st place Steve Del Castillo 1919 Ford Truck
1921-1931: 1st place Earl Asbury 1929 Ford Sedan; 2nd place Gary Loope 1929 Ford Roadster
1932-1942: 1st place Julie Haines 1934 Ford Roadster; 2nd Place Walt Lewis 1932 Ford Roadster
1946-1954: 1st place Larry Candelaria 1949 Mercury Coupe; 2nd place Gary Crochrane 1952 Crosley SS
1955-1965: 1st place Gary Bunker 1956 Chev Belair; 2nd place Roger O’Dell 1957 Cadillac Eldorado
1966-1972: 1st place Chuck Waltman 1970 Chevy Chevelle; 2nd place Mike Adamson 1967 Chevy Chevelle
City Dignitaries’ Picks:
Raul Ortize 1960 Chev Impala
Rod Weber 1941 Willys
Paul Parque 1956 Ford Thunderbird
CLPOA Dignitaries’ Picks
George Cowman !937 Buick
Ron Rice 1935 Ford Cabriolet
Louise Ferreira !932 Ford Pickup