The Canyon Lake Bassmasters are looking forward to hosting the Kids Fishing Derby on Saturday, September 10, from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Holiday Harbor. This event is free for ages 5 to 15. It was rescheduled from August 13 due to a temporary lake closure cause by a toxic algae bloom.
This year’s event will include a special prize drawing for two Aqua Lily Pads. Tickets for the drawing may be purchased on the day of the event. As part of the annual event, each participant automatically receive one ticket for a separate prize drawing that includes bicycles and many other prizes. It’s not too late for businesses to donate prizes for this drawing.
Bassmasters President Travis Smith would like to remind parents that children must register and sign a consent form in order to participate in the Fishing Derby. Registration will take place from 6 to 8 a.m.
This event traditionally brings out 300 to 400 kids. Trophies and prizes are awarded in three different age groups (5-7, 8-11 and 12-15) plus one for Big Fish in each species and Big Fish for a boy and a girl.
Here’s the schedule and more details:
Registration: 6 to 8 a.m.
Fishing Time: 6 to 11 a.m.
Fish weigh-in: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Food Served: 12 p.m.
Awards and Prize Drawing: 1 p.m.
- Child must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Worms will be handed out at registration while supplies last.
- Fishing may be done anywhere on the lake.
- Weigh-in will start at 11 a.m., and participants must be in line to weigh no later than 12 p.m.
- The Bassmasters will starting serving the free food during weigh-in and will continue until it’s gone (hot dogs, chips, water, soda and snow cones).
Sponsors are needed. The Canyon Lake Bassmasters is a non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible (Tax ID No: 33-0960490). To donate a prize or money, or for more information, contact Travis at 951-525-7550.