AARP Driving Course
The American Association of Retired Persons, (AARP), in conjunction with the Canyon Lake Property Owners Association, is offering a Drivers Safety Refresher Course at the beginning of August. The course will take place in the POA Conference Room at the CLPOA Office on Saturday, August 6, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The class is $20; however, AARP members can present their AARP card for a discounted price of $15.
This refresher course will be taught by trained instructor, Don Duncan. By taking this driver safety course, participants will learn the current rules of the road, defensive driving techniques and how to operate one’s vehicle more safely in today’s increasingly challenging driving environment.
In addition, many insurance companies offer a discount for completing this course. For questions about this course, call Don Duncan at 951-244-7513. Reservations are required for this course. Reservations and payments can be made at the Member Services office.
The Association offers Traffic School the last Tuesday of each month. Any member is eligible to attend Traffic School for a moving violation that occurred on the streets inside Canyon Lake. A member is eligible to attend Traffic School for a moving violation once every 18 months. This eligibility is per person and not per tract and lot. Upon completion of Traffic School, the fine and violation will be removed from the account.
The Association’s Traffic School is also open for anyone who would like a refresher course on driving rules. Children getting ready to drive, or new drivers, may attend the class at no cost.
Augusts’ Traffic School will be on Tuesday, August 30, at 7 p.m. in the POA Conference Room at the CLPOA Office. Register for Traffic School prior to the class; please check with Hearing Services for the registration deadline date. Payment of $25 is due at the time of registration. Please note, you cannot register or pay for the class the day of Traffic School.
Members interested in signing up for Traffic School should contact Member Services at 951-244-6841, ext. 310.
Suzy Bogguss Concert
Don’t miss the chance to see Grammy-winning singer Suzy Bogguss live at the Lodge on Saturday, July 30. VIP tickets are $55 and General Admission tickets are $30.
Suzy has charted six Top 10 singles, winning the Academy of Country Music’s “Top New Female Vocalist” award and the Country Music Association’s “Horizon Award” during the 1990s. She has sold more than 4 million records. Among her best known radio hits are “Outbound Plane,” “Someday Soon,” “Letting Go” and “Drive South.”
Sunset Beach Playground
Work continues at Sunset Beach installing the new nature-themed playground. The new playground will feature two play structures, swings and a rubberized surface. The project has an estimated three to four-week timeline and is expected to be finished in August. Residents are asked to please avoid the playground while work is being done (the area is blocked off with fencing).
POA Exercise Classes
Classes can be purchased at Member Services or the Pool Office. Instructors cannot accept payment. To learn more about each class, visit canyonlakepoa.com.
- Water Aerobics meets Monday through Saturday at 8:30 a.m. at the pool. Cost is $2 per class or $25 per month for unlimited classes.
- Canyon Lake Fit Camp meets Tuesday and Thursday at 7 a.m. at Holiday. The class is $99 per month; first class is free.
- Funk Fitness meets Tuesday and Thursday at 10 a.m., and Thursday evening at 7:15 p.m. All classes meet at the Lodge. Class punch cards are $35 for five classes; $70 for 11 classes.
- Zumba meets Monday and Thursday at 6 p.m. in the Holiday Bay Room. Cost is $35 for five classes; $40 for 10 classes.
- Evening Yoga meets Monday at 7 p.m. in the Holiday Bay Room. Cost is $25 for five classes; $40 for 10 classes.
- Morning Yoga meets Wednesday at 10 a.m. in the Sunset Beach Room at the Lodge. Cost is $25 for five classes; $40 for 10.
- Line Dancing – Beginning meets Tuesday at 2 p.m.; Intermediate meets Wednesday at 3 p.m. in the Holiday Bay Room. Cost is $20 for five classes; $40 for 10.
- Dancercise meets Thursday at 9:30 a.m. in the Pool View Room at the Lodge. This class is free.