The following pet owner guide was provided by Animal Friends of the Valleys.
- Mandatory Dog Licensing: In accordance with state law and Canyon Lake ordinances, all dogs over the age of 4 months must be vaccinated against rabies and licensed. To purchase a license, one must bring proof of a current vaccination and proof of spay/neuter (if applicable) to Animal Friends of the Valleys.
Coming soon will be an option to license online through AFV’s website. Dogs that are spayed/neutered are licensed at a discount. Licensing laws are enforced by animal control.
1 year – altered dog: $15; unaltered dog: $50
2 year – altered dog: $20; unaltered dog: $100
3 year – altered dog: $25; unaltered dog: $150
Senior (60-plus) with altered dog – 1 year: $8; 2 years: $10; 3 years: $12
- Leash Law – All dogs must be on a physical restraint when off the owner’s property. They must be under physical restraint by a leash of a size and material appropriate to the size and temperament of the dog and which is held by a person capable of restraining such dog. Voice control, eye control or signal control of any dog is not permissible.
- Low Cost Vaccinations – Animal Friends of the Valleys offers low cost vaccinations at their Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic in Lake Elsinore Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. No appointment is necessary. Rabies vaccinations are available “at cost” for only $6. Cat and dog vaccinations are both available at low cost. To check prices, go to www.animalfriendsofthevalleys.com, click on shot & microchip clinic at the bottom of the home page.
- Microchipping – Canyon Lake and AFV have partnered to offer Canyon Lake residents $5 microchips for their pets while funds are available. Please go to the shelter in Wildomar, 33751 Mission Trail, for $5 microchips. One must show proof of residency. Note: $5 microchips are not available at the clinic.
- Low Cost Spay/Neuter – Canyon Lake and AFV have partnered to offer low income Canyon Lake residents a free spay/neuter voucher for their dogs and cats. Residents must qualify for low income and show proof of residency. To qualify as low income, an individual must have a maximum annual income of $37,550; a household of two: $42,990; a household of three: $48,250; and a household of four: $65,000. The vouchers must be used within 60 days of receipt. Vouchers are available through AFV at the Wildomar shelter. Take advantage of this offer while funds are available!
AFV’s low cost, high quality Spay/Neuter Clinic in Lake Elsinore offers low cost spaying and neutering Monday through Friday. Call 951-674-SPAY (7729) to make an appointment. Help with pet overpopulation by having pets altered.
- Stray Dogs – Animal Friends of the Valleys provides animal control services for Canyon Lake. They have provided a dog kennel that is set up at the Operations Yard by the North Gate. If you find a dog running at large and can safely pick up the animal, you can place the dog in the kennel and notify Securitas Community Patrol. Securitas will contact AFV for pick up.
Animal Friends of the Valleys can be reached at 951-674-0618; after hour emergencies 951-506-5069.