No more teachers, no more books . . . school is done for several weeks! Most residents would agree Canyon Lake is an amazing place to raise children. Even if it’s possible to get bored with playing in the pool or lake, and hanging out at the many local parks, there is a whole lineup of family events and kids’ classes to take advantage of the many amenities Canyon Lake has to offer.
There are swim and water polo classes, tennis lessons, horse riding lesson, golf clinic, learn-to-ski days, learn-to-wakeboard days, children’s theater, summer reading program, family movie nights and the kid zone at Taco Tuesdays, to name a few.
Plus, be sure to mark calendars for several one-time events catering to children and families: Cosmic Carnival at Holiday Harbor, Kid’s Fishing Derby at Holiday Harbor, Mermaid Festival at Indian Beach and the Paddle and Pedal Regatta at Indian Beach.
Not on the POA’s calendar yet, but usually in the summer schedule are Summer Splash at Holiday Harbor and Maui Monday at Sunset Beach (Labor Day weekend).
Here is the Calendar of Events
- Taco Tuesday is going on at the Lodge and Sunset Beach every Tuesday, 5 to 8:30 p.m., until September 1. Each week features entertainment, vendor booths, kid zone, snack shack and food and drink specials from the Lighthouse Restaurant and Bar.
- Movie Night begins June 12 at Holiday Harbor. Free. Movies start about 8 p.m. or when it’s dark enough to see them. Families are invited to bring blankets and chairs to spread out on the slope at Holiday Harbor for family-friendly movies. Additional movie dates are June 26, July 10 and 24, and August 7 and 21.
- Cosmic Carnival will be on June 27, 5 to 9 p.m. at Holiday Harbor. Free. Hosted by the Family Matters Club, this neon glow party will include a glow maze, photo booth, shirt-making, face-painting and more. The snack bar will be selling goodies and food to light up the night. Watch The Friday Flyer or visit the Family Matters Facebook page for details.
- Kid’s Fishing Derby will be on Saturday, August 15, at Holiday Harbor. Free. Registration will take place between 6 and 8 a.m. Hosted by the Canyon Lake Bassmasters, this event is for Canyon Lake residents and their guests, ages 5 to 15. Registration forms will be printed in The Friday Flyer closer to the event.
- Mermaid Festival will be on Saturday, August 22, at Indian Beach. Free. Hosted by the Canyon Lake Woman’s Club, this inaugural event calls all mermaids, mermen, pirates and people who love the sea to come down to Indian Beach where there will be mermaid and pirate-themed activities as well as food and merchandise vendors. Watch The Friday Flyer for details or visit www.canyonlakewomansclub.com.
- Pedal Paddle Regatta will be on Saturday, August 29, at 10 a.m. at Indian Beach. Free Hosted by the Fitness and Triathlon Club, everyone with a paddle board, kayak, canoe or pedal boat is invited to join this non-motorized cruise of the East Bay. Following the cruise will be a burger barbecue for $5 per person.
Classes and Camps
- Creative Moment Yoga Class is held Wednesday, 10 a.m. in the Pool View Room at the Lodge. Free. Parents are invited to bring their children (ages 2 through 8) to this parent/child yoga class taught by Canyon Lake resident, Kelley Peviani-Bruno. Bring a yoga mat and dress comfortably. Parents/caregivers are required to remain with their children at all times and are even encouraged to participate alongside their child(ren).
- Kids Summer Tennis Program begins Tuesday, June 9. The cost of the eight-session program is $100. Hosted by the Tennis Club and taught by Tennis Pro Baba Soysa, this program for children ages 4 through 18. Lessons are one-hour group sessions that run twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. To register, contact Marga Kidd at 951-442-4538.
- Swimming Lessons begin June 15 at the pool. The cost is $70 per week (discounts available). Classes are 30 minutes long, Monday through Friday. Mommy & Me classes are available. There is limited space and classes fill up quickly. Register at the pool or call 951-244-6841, ext. 617. Open Swim at the pool is Sunday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Water Polo begins June 15 at the pool. The cost is $45 per week (discounts available).This six-week program is open to all ages as long as they are able to swim the length of the pool (25 yards). Visit the Association’s website for details.
- Junior Golf Clinic will be held July 13 to 17. The cost is $35 per junior golfer. The Junior Golf Clinic is hosted by the Golf Pro Shop staff and Family Golf Club and includes golf instruction for various age levels, a skills test, prizes and concludes with a family barbecue. For more information, call the Golf Pro Shop at 951-244-6841, ext. 820.
- Horse Riding Lessons Children who would like to take horse riding lessons can sign up with Gretchen Painter by calling 951-334-4145. Lesson rates begin at $35. Lessons are taught at the Equestrian Center; horses will be provided. A date for Horse Camp has not been announced. Watch the Association’s website to learn if and when this will be offered.
- Children’s Theatre Canyon Lake Community theatre invites all children K through 8th grade to audition for a role in the summer production of “Flower Power.” See Page A-4 for details. Show dates are July 31, August 1 and August 2. Canyon Lake Community Theatre has a Facebook page.
- Learn To Ski Days are June 10, July 8 and August 12 in the North Ski Area. The cost is $10. The Ski Club offers Learn To Ski Days for children of all ages on June 10, July 8 and August 12. Available times are 1, 2 or 3 p.m. Space is limited and pre-registration is necessary, for advance registration call Terry Pierce at 951-609-4790. For more information, visit www.canyonlakeskiclub.com.
- Learn To Ride Days are June 6, July 25 and September 12. Registration opens at 8 a.m. at the Ski Pavilion in the North Ski Area. The cost is $15. Learn to wakeboard or improve skills in wakeboarding and wakeskating. The Wakeboard Club provides boats, equipment and training. For more information visit www.canyonlakewake.com.
- Summer Reading Program will be held at the Library from June 22 to August 1. Free. This year’s theme is “Read to the Rhythm.” Reading incentives and prizes are made available by Canyon Lake Friends of the Library. The Library is located inside the City Hall building. Hours are Monday, 10 to 7; Wednesday and Friday, 10 to 6; and Saturday, 10 to 3. For more information, call 951-244-9181.